Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Last UK forces set to leave Iraq

UK's eight-year military presence in Iraq to end on Sunday

 Britain's eight years of military commitment in Iraq will finally and formally come to an end on Sunday, when the remaining forces in the south of the country will withdraw.

In total, the UK still has about 170 mostly naval personnel in Iraq, helping to train the fledgling Iraqi navy from the port of Umm Qasr. The contingent includes a few Royal Marines.

UK combat forces, primarily based in the southern city of Basra, withdrew in July 2009 but since then the Royal Navy has continued working alongside US forces to train 1,800 Iraqis.
In his statement, Fox said that the UK-Iraq training and maritime support agreement "will conclude on 22 May".
"Having successfully completed their mission UK personnel deployed to Iraq under this agreement will now leave the country. This will mark the formal conclusion of Operation Telic."
Fox said that the UK would continue to train members of the Iraqi security forces in the UK, and contribute to the Nato training mission which remains in Iraq.
"I pay tribute to all UK service personnel who have served in Iraq over the last eight years and to the sacrifices made by so many for the benefit of the people of Iraq and our national security," the statement said.
Fox said that this was "also an opportunity to reflect on the wider contribution of Britain's armed forces to Iraq since 2003. Thanks to the sacrifice, commitment, and professionalism of thousands of British service men and women Southern Iraq is an area transformed".